Looking for something? You can search This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Friendship

Friend as defined by the Webster Dictionary:
1. one attached to another by affection or esteem.
2. one that is not hostile
3. a favored companion

I guess most of you on my "friends list" fit the second definition. That is a very broad definition, which for me, I hope includes the majority of the people here on Earth.

Why is this idea of friendship on my mind this morning?

Last night I had a dream where I needed to be "baptized" in order to be able to do something I wanted to do. So, in the dream, I thought I'd ask my sister to baptize me because I thought for sure she would, but when I asked her to baptize me, she said no. I was shocked. I've always held my sister in high esteem, so I was surprised that she wouldn't baptize me. When I asked why, she said our Mother told her not to baptize me because I have no friends. I was deeply saddened by this revelation.

I asked myself, is it true? Do I really have no friends? The answer I have come up with is yes, I DO have friends if I consider all who are not hostile to me to be friends. The answer is no, if I consider definitions one and three, although I have affection and hold you all in high esteem, I'm not certain that is reciprocal, but my friendship is not so conditional that if it isn't reciprocal, I am not friendly.

Fair Weather Friends

These are people who have developed a friendship with another which is based upon something they can get from their "friend" and once they can no longer get that, they just no longer relate to their "friend" anymore.

So, how do you consider me? which definition(s) do I fit in for you? Like I wrote above, my friendship to you, isn't conditional, my caring for you as another being here on this planet isn't conditional, even if you are hostile to me, I will always have a place in my heart for you.

That isn't friendship, that is unconditional love. :)

Blessings to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment